- Be able to communicate in English
- Experience in elementary or middle school
- Register nurse with first aid & CPR is required
Position: School Nurse
Reports to: Nursing Supervisor
The role of the school nurse is to maintain/improve the health and wellbeing of our students, thus enabling them to benefit fully from their educational experiences; and, to promote the optimum healthy lifestyle for all students through the combined efforts of the home, school and community.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a health programme, and maintenance of a safe and healthful environment.
- Disseminate health education information to teachers, parents and students, and provide direct classroom instruction when needed.
- Assist the academic staff in the development of a health education curriculum.
- Make appropriate health appraisals of referred students and provide health counselling to students and their parents when necessary.
- Provide vision, auditory and scoliosis screening of students in compliance with health screening mandates and conduct follow-up of all deficiencies by assisting parents in making plans for further examinations and correction.
- Keep accurate records of activities at assigned schools; and establish and maintain necessary student health records.
- Record the results of health screenings and other significant health information in cumulative records.
- Complete a health/development evaluation on those students referred to special education when specified in an assessment plan.
- Serve as a member of the Individualized Education Plan team to report results of health/development evaluations and provide health related information.
- Assist in the control and prevention of communicable disease by providing information to staff, students and parents about protective measures against communicable disease.
- Establish contact with appropriate members of the medical community as part of follow-up procedures of chronic and communicable disease cases.
- Work with and act as liaison to school health committees, country health officials and other agencies concerned with the health and welfare of students.
- Provide emergency care and First Aid treatment for serious accidents and illnesses which occur at school.
- Oversee and develop policies and procedures in conjunction with the Bursar and School Manager.
- Work with the school caterers to provide information on healthy eating, monitor obesity and dietary requirements, and ensure the menu is balanced and nutritious.
- Administer the student vaccinations and maintain records.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Registered nurse or licensed practical nurse with first aid and CPR certification.
- Pediatric experience preferred for those assigned to the elementary schools or middle school.
- Experience of working in accident and emergency frontline services is desirable.
- 2 years’ work experience as a School Nurse in an International School would be helpful.
Safeguarding and Legal
Please note the College’s positions are subject to an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Wellington College International Bangkok is also committed to equality and diversity. Candidates should be aware that all posts in the College involve a degree of responsibility for safeguarding students.